Hosting international students can be a wonderful experience but it also involves responsibility. Many of our students are unaccompanied minors within Canada but they are supported through our Guardianship Services.
That means you are not alone and our competent staff are very much available to assist you. But what are your responsibilities while hosting an international student? Basically, they include:
- Providing a private bedroom for each student unless double placement has been confirmed;
- Providing a safe and comfortable environment, and accommodating no more than three (3) international students (including students from other organizations);
- Notifying our office if there are changes anticipated to the hosting arrangements;
- Students requesting half-board should receive breakfast (can be self-serve) and dinner 7 days a week. Students requesting full-board should additionally receive a bag lunch on school days and lunch in the home on weekends;
- Ideally, the student should have dinner with you and your family as often as possible. If you are unable to cook some evenings, please let the student know in advance and leave food for him/her to prepare;
- Be available at your home on the day of the student’s arrival. In the event you are unable to be at your home you must discuss your alternative arrangements with one of our staff representatives prior to the student’s arrival.
In most cases First Choice International Placement Inc. arranges for the collection and payment of homestay fees. Our experience suggests this is a preferred arrangement for both the student and their assigned host family.
We offer convenient payment options for the student including Visa, MasterCard or bank-to-bank wire transfers. We offer direct deposit to our homestay families. Prior to discussing payment of homestay fees with a student, we request that you contact one of our representative to discuss your intentions.
In the event the student chooses to move in the middle of the month or study cycle any unused prepaid fees must be returned provided proper notice is given. If a student moves within the first month of homestay no notice is required and any unused prepaid fees must be returned to First Choice.